Wednesday, April 19, 2023

PAD Day 19: Who's Scared of Monsters?

In addition to this blog, I have also been posting my daily poems on the NaPoWriMo/GloPoWriMo 2023 Facebook page, administered by Maureen Thorson in addition to her webpage. I was gratified that my Day 18 poem "Marriage Advice" has received a large positive response over there.. Thanks to everyone who liked and commented.

Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "taste" poem, and (2) "cast your mind back to your own childhood and write a poem about something that scared you – or was used to scare you – and which still haunts you (if only a little bit) today."

I'm short on time today, so my poem is short, a humorous verse combining both prompts. I guess it's influenced a bit by Shel Silverstein and his sometimes dark humor.


Monsters
 
When I was a kid I feared monsters,
In my closet or under my bed,
With a ravenous taste for children;
If one caught you, you'd surely be dead.
 
But I'm grown now and bigger than monsters—
They don't even make my pulse quicken.
In fact, I have caught a few of them,
And you know, they taste just like chicken.


1 comment:

Vince Gotera said...

Hilarious ending and a rhyme with "quicken"! Cool.