Thursday, April 13, 2023

PAD Day 13: Short on Forgiveness

 Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "forgive" poem, and (2) write a short poem "that follows the beats of a classic joke. Emphasize the interplay between the form of the poem – such as the line breaks – and the punchline."

As far as the first prompt, I just wrote a poem two days ago about forgiveness ("Knocking Things Over"), and earlier this month I took William Carlos' Williams poem about forgiveness, "This is Just to Say", and parodied it by turning it around 180 degrees. I also wrote a poem a few years ago called "Public Apology" based on a true story about someone in Australia who paid for a skywritten apology to his wife or girlfriend.  It was published on the website Your Daily Poem in 2021. So that prompt doesn't particularly excite me today.

I'm not sure what to make of the second prompt. Should I tell a classic joke and put it into poetry form? Or tell an original joke structured so it can be read as a standup gag? I'm a little confused over this one, but I did come up with something that combines both prompts:


Oops
 
They say
"forgive and forget"
but I must have got it backwards
because
I forgot to forgive.


Here's another one that's sort of a joke in poetic form. Not terribly original, but kind of fun:

Coming Up Short
 
I can't write haiku.
It's hard to say something in
seventeen sylla

2 comments:

judydykstrabrown.com said...

Ha! You are very good at this..Don't see any way to follow you. I am on WP, you are on Blogger. Is there a way? I prefer not to do it by email unless absolutely necessary. (That is not my email address, btw. My email is jubob2@hotmail.com

Manja Mexi said...

Haha!! This is one of the best haikus I have ever encountered. Thanks for the chuckle.