Sunday, April 16, 2023

PAD Day 16: Home is Where the Heart Is

 Today's prompts from Write Better Poetry and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a poem with the title "______ of  _______," and (2) "write a poem that involves describing something in terms of what it is not, or not like."

I combined the prompts today, and intended on writing a poem that uses the "negating" device of describing something by what it is not. But after the first few lines it developed into an extended metaphor and I lost the "what it is not" aspect of the poem. But that's okay not to follow the prompt literally and all the way through. The opening lines set up the framework for a half-decent poem, I think. 


Home of a Poet
 
It's not one of those tiny houses,
in fact sometimes it feels a little too big.
It's not new construction either,
all shiny inside with a gorgeous facade.
 
The plumbing doesn't work so well,
and sometimes the electric short-circuits.
There's less thatch on the roof these days,
it's harder to see through the windows,
and I should get rid of some of the clutter.
 
It's become a real fixer-upper,
but it still has good bones,
and it's where my heart is.
I take it everywhere I go.
I've lived here for seven decades
and will continue to do so
until the day I have to move out.
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At the second stanza, I began suspecting where you were leading. I enjoyed the read all the way to the end.

Vince Gotera said...

Cool poem about the body! Bravo!

Susan Zapfe said...

Very creative extended metaphor. I liked it, but the end left me a little sad. And why wouldn’t it after being friends for 18 years.